< Back to Blog

A checklist of what to have on hand when purchasing car insurance

Maybe you just bought a new car or pickup. Maybe you’re switching insurance providers. Whatever the case you’re going to need a variety of documents on hand when you take out your policy. Save yourself some frustration by ensuring you have everything on the list below ready before you start.

Vehicle ownership permit. In order to insure your vehicle, you need to provide the vehicle identification number (VIN) and prove that you’re the registered owner of the vehicle. Your vehicle permit will also include your licence plate number.

Lease or lienholder agreement. If you are leasing or financing your vehicle, you will need the name and address of the company providing the lease or loan, as well as the date of purchase. They will be listed on the policy.

Full name and licence number of each driver in the household. Each person that has a driver’s licence in the household should be listed on the vehicle insurance policy. Even if some drivers never end up driving the car, it’s best to cover your bases. If a driver in the household is not listed as a secondary driver and gets into a collision, your coverage or insurance rate may be affected.

Driver education certificate. If you have recently completed an accredited driver education course, it is a good idea to bring your certificate with you if you’re purchasing a policy in person. Some insurance companies will offer you a discount off your auto premium.

Current insurance policy. If you are changing insurance companies, you will need the name of your current provider, policy number, and expiry date of your policy.

Claims history.  As part of the application process, you will be asked questions about your claims history. For example, what type of claims you’ve made in the past, how much was paid on them, and the date of each claim.

Driving record of each driver. Your broker will likely check your driving record with something called a driver’s abstract, which can include details like your traffic tickets, demerit points, and licence suspensions. However, your provider may also ask for your three-year driving record. To obtain one you can visit the Ministry of Transportation of your province. There may be a fee associated with this.

A void cheque or credit card number. If you will be paying monthly car insurance installments, you may be asked to provide a void cheque for withdrawal. Or you may be able to pay by credit card.

Down payment by way of cash, credit, or cheque. You will likely be asked to place a down payment on your auto insurance policy if you are going to be paying monthly.

If you’re in the market for car insurance, the brokers and CSRs at DPM insurance Group are here to help. We will work with you to ensure the process goes smoothly and that you fully understand the protection you’re purchasing so there won’t be any surprises if you ever need to make a claim. Click here to find the office nearest you: https://dpmins.com/locations/


Source: Insurancehotline


Protect yourself, protect your family, protect your devices.

Learn More

DPM Driver’s Ed Scholarship

DPM Driver’s Ed Scholarship. Your security, our responsibility.

Learn More

Blenheim Office

24 Marlborough St. N., Box 479
Blenheim, ON N0P1A0

Phone: 519-676-8159
Fax: 519-676-0020

Chatham Office

250 St. Clair St.
Chatham, ON N7L 3J9

Phone: 519-352-4343
Toll Free: 1-800-561-4949
Fax: 519-352-6484

Essex Office

29 Talbot St. N, Box 69
Essex, ON N8M 2Y1

Phone: 519-776-6457
Fax: 519-776-7400

Harrow Office

65 King St. W., Box 790
Harrow, ON N0R 1G0

Phone: 519-738-2277
Fax: 519-738-2279

Tilbury Office

59 Mill St. E, Box 1239
Tilbury, ON N0P 2L0

Phone: 519-682-0202
Fax: 519-682-2391

Wallaceburg Office

403 Wellington St.
Wallaceburg, ON N8A 2Y2

Phone: 519-627-1777

DPM Insurance is a BrokerLink company. The BrokerLink companies are subsidiaries of Intact Financial Corporation (TSX: IFC)