Accidents with Uninsured Drivers
Obviously, no one likes the idea of being involved in a motor vehicle collision, even a minor one with no injuries. Worse still is being involved in an accident and discovering the other motorist is not insured.
If you find yourself in such a situation, there’s no need to panic, but there are a few steps to take to ensure any repairs required to your vehicle are completed with as little hassle as possible.
Every driver on the road in Canada is required by law to have insurance. Someone caught driving without it are subject to expensive fines, possible criminal charges depending on the circumstances, and could even lose their license. Despite the potential consequences, such accidents take place in Ontario pretty much every day.
Of course, when someone gets hit by an uninsured driver, their first thought may be who will be paying to have their vehicle repaired. In Ontario, No Fault Coverage means that when you’re ready to file your claim, you’re going to be covered whether or not the other, at fault motorist, is insured.
Steps to take if you’re involved in an accident
- While you may not find out until after the police arrive that an uninsured motorist has hit you, if you do find out, stay calm and call the police.
- Regardless of who you’re involved in an accident with, you should use your phone to take videos and pictures of the accident scene, the other vehicle and the driver. This can help the insurance company. And, it helps you if the other driver leaves the scene.
- If you’re seriously injured, go the emergency room. For less severe injuries, see your doctor. Do this right away to document injuries from your accident.
- Alert your insurance company right away, if an uninsured motorist hit you. Start your claim and the protection for vehicles hit by uninsured drivers, should cover you.
- If it applies, seek legal counsel if the driver was uninsured. A personal injury lawyer might be able to help you seek damages from the uninsured party.
Looking for an auto insurance quote?
Motorists who drive without insurance face serious consequences, so you certainly don’t want to take the chance. If you’re looking for a quote on a new auto insurance policy, or would just like a review of your current policy and a no-obligation quote, contact one of DPM Insurance Group’s six offices across Windsor-Essex and Chatham-Kent. Click here to locate the office nearest you: https://dpmins.com/locations/