< Back to Blog

Are items in your shed or garage covered by home insurance?

So, your home is insured, and so are its contents, but what about your detached garage or garden shed – are the contents of those structures covered too? Most people have valuable things in their garage like bikes, lawnmowers, tools or gym equipment. If these items are stolen or somehow get damaged, replacing those things could be very costly.

The good news is that most homeowners’ policies also cover other structures on your property like a shed, garage or both. So, if the contents are stolen or damaged, there’s a good chance they’ll be covered, up to specified limits. Of course, individual policies vary, so it’s important you talk to your insurance broker/CSR to make sure they know about any other structures on your property so they can include them in your home insurance coverage.

Not all home insurance policies are created equal. Some will provide more coverage than others. There are three main categories of home insurance: basic/standard; broad; comprehensive.

As the name implies, comprehensive coverage offers the most protection for your home and its contents, as well as any detached structures and their contents. If you’re not sure what level of coverage you need, you can talk to One of DPM Insurance Group’s brokers or CSRs who will take the time to fully understand your situation. They’ll give you unbiased advice and let you know what type of coverage makes the most sense for your needs.

What if I work from my garage?

Keep in mind that there are different types of insurance for personal and business needs. If you are working from your garage or other detached structure, it’s important to let your insurance broker know. You should also let your broker know if you’re doing any activities in your garage that might be considered risky. Some of those activities include: welding; woodworking or construction

While types of activities might put you in a higher risk category, if you let your broker know, they will make sure you have the coverage you need should anything go awry.

And, just like it makes sense to have a home inventory checklist, you should have a similar list for items in your garage, shed or other external structure. In addition to compiling a list of items, you should also take pictures of your home, garage and any other building on your property. This will help prove ownership of items. It can also help document any items you may have missed on your list.

Talk to a DPM Insurance Group expert to make sure you have the coverage you need

If you need insurance for your home, shed or garage, a DPM Insurance Group broker/CSR can help. We will take the time to get to know you and understand exactly what coverage makes the most sense for you situation.



Source: brokerlink.com


Protect yourself, protect your family, protect your devices.

Learn More

DPM Driver’s Ed Scholarship

DPM Driver’s Ed Scholarship. Your security, our responsibility.

Learn More

Blenheim Office

24 Marlborough St. N., Box 479
Blenheim, ON N0P1A0

Phone: 519-676-8159
Fax: 519-676-0020

Chatham Office

250 St. Clair St.
Chatham, ON N7L 3J9

Phone: 519-352-4343
Toll Free: 1-800-561-4949
Fax: 519-352-6484

Essex Office

29 Talbot St. N, Box 69
Essex, ON N8M 2Y1

Phone: 519-776-6457
Fax: 519-776-7400

Harrow Office

65 King St. W., Box 790
Harrow, ON N0R 1G0

Phone: 519-738-2277
Fax: 519-738-2279

Tilbury Office

59 Mill St. E, Box 1239
Tilbury, ON N0P 2L0

Phone: 519-682-0202
Fax: 519-682-2391

Wallaceburg Office

403 Wellington St.
Wallaceburg, ON N8A 2Y2

Phone: 519-627-1777