< Back to Blog

Facts about seasonal property insurance

What’s the difference between a bear and a skunk? When it comes to seasonal property insurance, it’s about more than their physical differences – damage done to your cottage by bears is probably covered, while damage done by skunks probably isn’t.

As a cottage owner, it’s your responsibility to do what you can to prevent losses or damage to your property – and if a loss can be easily prevented, it may not be covered.

So, if you forget to tie up your boat and it goes out with the wind, for example, you’re probably out of luck. Damage or loss caused by things outside of your control (not things you could prevent) will most likely be covered by your policy. In the bears vs. skunks scenario, the idea is that you could prevent a critter from entering your home by taking some simple precautions — but keeping a bear out might not be so easy.

If you leave your cottage unattended for an extended period of time, losses or damages might not be covered. Seasonal properties need to be checked regularly for safety and security. In fact, most insurance companies have a maximum number of days you can be away before coverage could be denied. If you haven’t checked on your cottage over the winter months and the roof collapses due to snow load, you might have to cover those damages out of pocket. That’s because if you had checked on your property regularly, removing the snow could have prevented the roof from collapsing.

Make sure you’re checking and maintaining your property, even if it’s not prime cottage season. And don’t forget to confirm with your insurance company or broker just how many days the property can be left unattended. Your could be denied if you’ve left your property unattended for too long.

Renting out your cottage could void your insurance policy if it’s not permitted by your insurer. While you won’t necessarily need to pay a higher premium or take out commercial coverage for occasionally renting out your seasonal property, you do need to tell your insurance company or broker. If you don’t and your renters cause damage, it may not be covered by your policy.

Water damage, not fire or theft, is the most common type of insurance claim. If you’re using your cottage year-round, think about installing temperature and water alarms to notify you remotely of potential frozen pipes or flooding. If you close your property in the cooler months, don’t forget to shut off the water supply and drain your pipes, and consider using a monitored alarm or make arrangements for someone to check your property when you’re away to avoid water damage – doing so could even save you money on home insurance.

That old boat you don’t care about could cost you big money. Even if you think it isn’t worth insuring your boat against theft or damage, getting liability protection on it is essential. If you don’t and it causes harm to someone or something, you’ll be on the hook for any injuries or damages. The same goes for other toys around your property that wouldn’t be covered by your seasonal property insurance policy, like ATVs and snowmobiles.

If they present the potential to cause damage or injuries, they should be insured for liability. To cover unlicensed operators using your recreational vehicles, consider adding an endorsement to your car insurance policy.

Source: Economical


Protect yourself, protect your family, protect your devices.

Learn More

DPM Driver’s Ed Scholarship

DPM Driver’s Ed Scholarship. Your security, our responsibility.

Learn More

Blenheim Office

24 Marlborough St. N., Box 479
Blenheim, ON N0P1A0

Phone: 519-676-8159
Fax: 519-676-0020

Chatham Office

250 St. Clair St.
Chatham, ON N7L 3J9

Phone: 519-352-4343
Toll Free: 1-800-561-4949
Fax: 519-352-6484

Essex Office

29 Talbot St. N, Box 69
Essex, ON N8M 2Y1

Phone: 519-776-6457
Fax: 519-776-7400

Harrow Office

65 King St. W., Box 790
Harrow, ON N0R 1G0

Phone: 519-738-2277
Fax: 519-738-2279

Tilbury Office

59 Mill St. E, Box 1239
Tilbury, ON N0P 2L0

Phone: 519-682-0202
Fax: 519-682-2391

Wallaceburg Office

403 Wellington St.
Wallaceburg, ON N8A 2Y2

Phone: 519-627-1777