Getting an auto insurance history report for car insurance
Whether you’re preparing to purchase your first insurance policy or you’re a long-time insurance consumer, there’s a lot that goes on behind-the-scenes and different things that could affect your rates. For instance, if you’re shopping for a car insurance policy, it’s likely your broker will run an insurance history report.
What is an auto insurance history report?
An auto insurance history report is an important tool used by insurance companies that provides up-to-date information about you and your auto insurance policies.
As an example, AutoPlus™ is a large database that provides detailed information about people’s car insurance history. When a broker inputs your driver’s license number, the request generates a report and delivers it to the broker. If you’ve been in an accident, made a claim, had a policy cancellation or previously missed an insurance payment, this is likely been documented in your file, which includes things like:
- Your complete insurance history
- All the vehicles you’ve insured
- All the insurance companies you’ve ever been with
- Any claims made against you
- Any accidents or claims you’ve made
Why is the car insurance report useful?
Car insurance history reports are very detailed, which is why insurance companies use them. If you want to check your out yourself, all you need is your driver’s license number. You can complete an information form and submit the request and your report will be sent to you.
Reasons you might need an auto insurance history report
A benefit to obtaining your own report is that you will have your entire auto history in one place. When you work with your broker, you’ll have all the information and answers to their questions right in front of you.
Here are some reasons to request an auto insurance history report:
- You are moving to another province or country and it will provide your new insurance company with a full history report.
- An employer may request this report if your job involves driving.
- It’s free to order and you’re curious – it’s interesting to see what information about you is stored by insurance companies.
- To verify that all information in the report is accurate (you can challenge something if there seems to be a mistake).
How do I order an AutoPlus™ report?
Ordering an Autoplus™ report is simple. Here’s how it works:
Visit the site to complete the CGI Consumer Autoplus™ Request Form
Towards the bottom of the form, you will be directed to either scan and email the signed form to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail it to:
CGI Technical Assistance Centre
5800 St-Denis, 7th floor
Montreal, PQ, H2S 3L5
By signing the form, you are requesting your own information. If there are any details that belong to another driver in your report, CGI may require their consent. You should get the report by mail within 10 to 14 days.
Information required when ordering an auto insurance report
- Your full name
- Driver’s license number
- Current insurance company and policy number
- Day time phone number
- Email address
- Your original signature is required
- Select the reason for your request (there will be some options for you to choose from)
For more information, contact DPM Insurance Group
If you have questions about insurance, call DPM Insurance Group today. We have locations across Windsor-Essex and Chatham-Kent and we are always happy to walk you through your insurance options. You can also follow us on Facebook for daily tips and useful information to help you save money and avoid claims.