< Back to Blog

Insurance Claims Management

There are many reasons why you may need to make a property claim. After a rainstorm, sewage could back up into your basement. Your home could be burglarized and vandalized. A fire could destroy your kitchen. Or a wind storm could damage your property. The amount you receive for your loss will depend on the type of coverage you bought. In addition to claiming for  damaged or destroyed property, you may be eligible for additional living expense reimbursement, in certain circumstances, if you need to temporarily move elsewhere.

If you are the victim of theft or vandalism, contact the police right away, then, call your insurance representative as soon as possible.

As with most things, the devil is in the details. Providing as much information as possible about the circumstances and damage is critical. Take photographs if it is safe to do so.

If your home is unfit to live in, ask your insurer about the expenses you may be entitled to, and for how long. Keep all receipts and invoices for additional living expenses after your loss.

A claims specialist or adjuster (who is paid by your insurance company) will contact you to investigate the circumstance of the loss, examine documentation and explain the next steps. He or she also: determines the facts related to the claim and the extent of what is covered by your insurance policy; attempts to reach an agreement with any other people involved about the amount of their loss and extent of their responsibility.

Your insurance company will ask you to complete and return a proof of loss form after the incident. If any of the statements you make on the form are untrue, your insurance and claim may be voided. This form lists the property and/or items that were damaged or lost, and their estimated value or cost. On the form, you will be asked to: make a complete list of all damaged, destroyed or stolen items. Attach proofs of purchase, receipts, police reports, owner’s manuals and warranty, if possible; attach photos of damaged items. Keep damaged items unless they are dangerous or a health hazard. A current home inventory can help if you experience a loss; sign and swear that the statements you make in the proof of loss are true.

Review your policy and become familiar with specified deductibles, coverage limits and replacement values. If you make a claim, the amount you receive will depend on the type of coverage you bought. Insurance companies have three options for your damaged or stolen items: repair; replace; or, reimburse. Your policy requires that you take all necessary steps to limit further damage.

Ask your insurance representative if you can hire a contractor or supplier of your choice to do repairs. If so, discuss the costs. Make sure the contractor or supplier respects the price and specifications that you and your insurer agree on.

At DPM Insurance group, our dedicated team of brokers and CSRs are prepared to help you through the claims process and make sure you receive all the coverage you are entitled to. Your Security – Our Responsibility.


Protect yourself, protect your family, protect your devices.

Learn More

DPM Driver’s Ed Scholarship

DPM Driver’s Ed Scholarship. Your security, our responsibility.

Learn More

Blenheim Office

24 Marlborough St. N., Box 479
Blenheim, ON N0P1A0

Phone: 519-676-8159
Fax: 519-676-0020

Chatham Office

250 St. Clair St.
Chatham, ON N7L 3J9

Phone: 519-352-4343
Toll Free: 1-800-561-4949
Fax: 519-352-6484

Essex Office

29 Talbot St. N, Box 69
Essex, ON N8M 2Y1

Phone: 519-776-6457
Fax: 519-776-7400

Harrow Office

65 King St. W., Box 790
Harrow, ON N0R 1G0

Phone: 519-738-2277
Fax: 519-738-2279

Tilbury Office

59 Mill St. E, Box 1239
Tilbury, ON N0P 2L0

Phone: 519-682-0202
Fax: 519-682-2391

Wallaceburg Office

403 Wellington St.
Wallaceburg, ON N8A 2Y2

Phone: 519-627-1777

DPM Insurance is a BrokerLink company. The BrokerLink companies are subsidiaries of Intact Financial Corporation (TSX: IFC)