< Back to Blog

Loss of Use: Why it’s an important part of your policy

Loss of Use coverage – commonly included in home, tenant and condo insurance policies, is designed to help people who are suddenly unable to live in their home due to an insured event. For example, if your home is extensively damaged or even destroyed completely in a fire, Loss of Use will cover temporary living expenses while your home is being repaired or rebuilt.

You may also hear this coverage referred to as “Additional Living Expenses” (or ALE), but the distinction is that ALE is just one component of Loss of Use coverage.

Additional Living Expenses (ALE)     

When an insured scenario makes your home unfit to live in, ALE takes care of the increase in necessary expenses you have to pay to temporarily relocate. This may include:

  • Alternative living accommodations
  • Food
  • Storage
  • Pet Care
  • Fuel/Transportation
  • Moving Costs

An adjuster will help determine the best approach for you and any members of your household. The goal is to set you up with a temporary arrangement that reflects your current standard of living.

Fair Rental Value

This component of Loss of Use coverage protects you if you have a home that you rent to tenants. It covers your loss of rental income while you are no longer able to rent your home because of damage.

Prohibited Access

Prohibited Access is when you are required to evacuate your home, even though your property itself may not be directly affected by a loss. Perhaps there is insured damage to a close neighbour’s home that puts yours at risk, or a wildfire takes place in your area that requires the whole block to temporarily relocate. Prohibited Access coverage reimburses your additional living expenses while you are unable to live in your home as a result of the incident.

What isn’t covered by Loss of Use?

A helpful way to think about it is that Loss of Use – and more specifically, ALE – covers the additional costs you would not otherwise incur if you didn’t have to evacuate your home. You would continue to be responsible for costs that you were already paying before the loss took place. For example, you would still be obligated to pay your property tax, mortgage, or rent – even during your temporary relocation period.

At DPM insurance Group, our licensed brokers and CSRs can answer any questions about Loss of Use. If it’s been a while since we’ve chatted, this may also be a good opportunity to review your coverage and ensure your policy covers all of your current needs.


Source: Wawanesa Mutual Insurance Company


Protect yourself, protect your family, protect your devices.

Learn More

DPM Driver’s Ed Scholarship

DPM Driver’s Ed Scholarship. Your security, our responsibility.

Learn More

Blenheim Office

24 Marlborough St. N., Box 479
Blenheim, ON N0P1A0

Phone: 519-676-8159
Fax: 519-676-0020

Chatham Office

250 St. Clair St.
Chatham, ON N7L 3J9

Phone: 519-352-4343
Toll Free: 1-800-561-4949
Fax: 519-352-6484

Essex Office

29 Talbot St. N, Box 69
Essex, ON N8M 2Y1

Phone: 519-776-6457
Fax: 519-776-7400

Harrow Office

65 King St. W., Box 790
Harrow, ON N0R 1G0

Phone: 519-738-2277
Fax: 519-738-2279

Tilbury Office

59 Mill St. E, Box 1239
Tilbury, ON N0P 2L0

Phone: 519-682-0202
Fax: 519-682-2391

Wallaceburg Office

403 Wellington St.
Wallaceburg, ON N8A 2Y2

Phone: 519-627-1777

DPM Insurance is a BrokerLink company. The BrokerLink companies are subsidiaries of Intact Financial Corporation (TSX: IFC)