< Back to Blog

Mortgage Insurance vs Homeowners Insurance: Do You Know the Difference?

Mortgage insurance vs homeowner’s insurance – if you think they’re generally the same thing, well… think again. Because the terms are related and critical to home-ownership, identifying the difference is important, and might help to think about them more like siblings than twins.

Mortgage Insurance at a Glance

If you’re considering buying or have bought a home, you’re probably familiar with this figure: 20%. In general, that’s the amount most people aim to save up for a down payment on a house.

But in Canada, you don’t have to put 20% down – you can pay as little as 5% down on a house that costs up to $500,000. If it’s more than that, the percentage you have to put down changes a bit. While 5% down will qualify you, because it’s below that 20% baseline, you are required by law to purchase mortgage insurance. The lender has to pay for the insurance that’s required on it so they’ll wrap the insurance premium into your mortgage payments.

Buying mortgage insurance is something you’ll do when applying for a mortgage and most Canadians purchase this coverage through their lenders from the Canada Mortgage Housing Corporation (CMHC).

The amount you’ll have to pay for mortgage insurance will be based on the risk of loaning to you. It also factors in the percentage of what you can put down against the price of the home. This is not to be mistaken with another type of mortgage insurance you may run into, and that’s called mortgage hazard insurance. Basically, it’s sort of like a life insurance policy on your mortgage. It covers you in case something prevents you from paying your loan back – like an illness that keeps you from working, or even death.

What You Need to Know About Homeowners Insurance

Homeowners insurance can be a moving part of the mortgage acquisition process. That’s because some lenders require proof of this coverage before agreeing to lend to borrowers. But it’s really a separate process altogether.

The main purpose of homeowners insurance is to protect you, the buyer, and your house and possessions. You pay an insurance premium based on the policy you purchase to a provider that’s a completely separate entity from your mortgage lender. That monthly fee to your insurance provider covers any damages if something bad happens to your home.

There are many types of homeowners insurance. But here are a few to know about.

  • Dwelling: This covers your home from certain natural damage like hail and wind.
  • Personal property: This coverage protects your possessions. Think your home, furniture, and personal effects.
  • Liability: If someone is injured on your property, this coverage protects you against a lawsuit.
  • Additional living expense: This coverage assists with temporary living accommodations if your home is not suitable to inhabit.

You may also hear about mortgage hazard insurance when you start the mortgage process. It’s related to your homeowner’s insurance policy, however, and not your mortgage. It’s the portion of your home insurance coverage that protects your home and physical possessions.

Your lender may require a certain amount of hazard insurance to protect their interest in your property. If something catastrophic happens to your home, the hazard insurance will protect it

When it comes to homeowners insurance costs, that’s based on a variety of factors — like the value of your home, your possessions, and what it would cost to rebuild your home after severe damage.

The Key Takeaways

Now you know the basic big differences between mortgage insurance vs. homeowner’s insurance. If you’re still puzzled by who needs one or the other or both, we have the answers.

Who Needs Mortgage Insurance?

Not all home-buyers who apply for and receive a mortgage also need mortgage insurance. If you’re paying less than a 20% down payment on a house, then you’ll definitely need to purchase mortgage insurance.

Why do you have to foot the bill for this coverage? Loaning to you is considered high risk since you’re putting down a lower down payment. And mortgage insurance protects your lender in case you can’t pay them back. If you were to pay 20% or more of the full cost of the house you want to purchase, you would not be required to purchase mortgage insurance.

Who Needs Homeowners Insurance?

If you’re able to put more than 5% down or even pay in full, then you won’t need primary mortgage insurance. You won’t need homeowner’s insurance either. But you may want to purchase homeowner’s insurance anyway. Unlike fire insurance, homeowner’s insurance isn’t mandatory in Canada. Still, purchasing even a basic policy could protect you from the unknown.

While many Canadians do opt for homeowners insurance, studies show that most don’t have flood insurance. This kind of coverage is becoming available as a part of home insurance policies. And it may be more important for more people to have with increased flooding.

Who Needs Both Homeowners and Mortgage Insurance?

If you’re putting less than 20% down on a home, and as little as 5%, you’ll probably need homeowner’s insurance too. This is another measure to help the lender protect itself by ensuring that damages will be covered if your house is destroyed.

There is one area where there is an overlap in mortgage insurance vs. homeowner’s insurance. Homeowners insurance can protect both you and your lender.

Say you’re in a financial bind at the time of a disaster that ravages your house. You have no place to live and no way to make your mortgage payments. If you have the necessary homeowner’s insurance, the lender could still recoup the loss if a natural disaster destroys your home. They could take the property back and sell it.

If you weren’t insured, they wouldn’t have this ability. Plus, you would be stuck shelling out mortgage payments even if your house is leveled by a storm.

While homeowner’s insurance is a separate buying process, your lender may require you to purchase it before agreeing to loan to you. In that way, both are linked to acquiring a home if you fall into the category of needing both types of insurance.


Source: insurdinary


Protect yourself, protect your family, protect your devices.

Learn More

DPM Driver’s Ed Scholarship

DPM Driver’s Ed Scholarship. Your security, our responsibility.

Learn More

Blenheim Office

24 Marlborough St. N., Box 479
Blenheim, ON N0P1A0

Phone: 519-676-8159
Fax: 519-676-0020

Chatham Office

250 St. Clair St.
Chatham, ON N7L 3J9

Phone: 519-352-4343
Toll Free: 1-800-561-4949
Fax: 519-352-6484

Essex Office

29 Talbot St. N, Box 69
Essex, ON N8M 2Y1

Phone: 519-776-6457
Fax: 519-776-7400

Harrow Office

65 King St. W., Box 790
Harrow, ON N0R 1G0

Phone: 519-738-2277
Fax: 519-738-2279

Tilbury Office

59 Mill St. E, Box 1239
Tilbury, ON N0P 2L0

Phone: 519-682-0202
Fax: 519-682-2391

Wallaceburg Office

403 Wellington St.
Wallaceburg, ON N8A 2Y2

Phone: 519-627-1777

DPM Insurance is a BrokerLink company. The BrokerLink companies are subsidiaries of Intact Financial Corporation (TSX: IFC)