< Back to Blog

Proof of Loss

​Every insurance company provides a form that is used to document damaged or destroyed items. Your insurer will request specific information from you in the event of a loss. Keeping receipts and a current home inventory can assist the claims process.

​There are many reasons why you might have a property loss: a thief might damage your home while breaking into it and stealing your valuables; a fire, a windstorm or a sewer backup might damage part or all of your home. After a loss happens, contact your insurance representative as soon as possible. Immediately make notes and take photos – if safe to do so – of as many details as possible.

Information Your Insurer Needs

When you need to make a claim, you will be asked to complete a proof of loss form. Typical information you’ll be asked for includes:

The type of damage that occurred

What covered items were involved – for instance, if it was a theft, what personal property is missing?

The current replacement value of the property damaged or destroyed, as well as the value of the contents involved – original receipts or other records can be used to confirm the value of damaged items

Evidence of the loss – if a natural disaster partially or completely damages your home, you will need to document (e.g., via photographic evidence, adjuster review, etc.) all elements that were lost, along with their value.

Every insurance company has a unique form for detailing the replacement value of items. The form reflects any applicable government regulations as well as the insurer’s specific requirements.

What Happens Next

Once you complete and submit the proof of loss form, the following takes place:

Your documentation is thoroughly reviewed.

Your insurance company will either accept or reject your claim for items you have noted on the form.

When the review is complete, your insurer will determine a total loss value for your claim and contact you.

You will have an opportunity to consider the payment amount your insurer is offering you.

If the proof of loss form is accepted, your payment, less any applicable deductible, will be processed.

Property policies typically include a deductible, which is a specified sum or a percentage of the total amount of insurance that is deducted from the amount of a loss. Regardless of the number of items claimed, a deductible applies only once per occurrence.

If your property requires repairs, your insurance company may provide you with a selection of recommended local vendors to consider or you may choose your own.

In the event of a loss, the brokers and CSRs at DPM Insurance Group are available to guide our clients through the claims management process. To contact one of our offices for a no-obligation quote, or to review your current coverages, contact one of our offices today: https://dpmins.com/locations/

Source: Insurance Bureau of Canada


Protect yourself, protect your family, protect your devices.

Learn More

DPM Driver’s Ed Scholarship

DPM Driver’s Ed Scholarship. Your security, our responsibility.

Learn More

Blenheim Office

24 Marlborough St. N., Box 479
Blenheim, ON N0P1A0

Phone: 519-676-8159
Fax: 519-676-0020

Chatham Office

250 St. Clair St.
Chatham, ON N7L 3J9

Phone: 519-352-4343
Toll Free: 1-800-561-4949
Fax: 519-352-6484

Essex Office

29 Talbot St. N, Box 69
Essex, ON N8M 2Y1

Phone: 519-776-6457
Fax: 519-776-7400

Harrow Office

65 King St. W., Box 790
Harrow, ON N0R 1G0

Phone: 519-738-2277
Fax: 519-738-2279

Tilbury Office

59 Mill St. E, Box 1239
Tilbury, ON N0P 2L0

Phone: 519-682-0202
Fax: 519-682-2391

Wallaceburg Office

403 Wellington St.
Wallaceburg, ON N8A 2Y2

Phone: 519-627-1777

DPM Insurance is a BrokerLink company. The BrokerLink companies are subsidiaries of Intact Financial Corporation (TSX: IFC)