Questions to ask your broker about home insurance
When purchasing a home insurance policy, use these questions as a guide when speaking with a home insurance broker.
- What does this home insurance policy cover and to what extent?
- What does this home insurance policy exclude? Can you give me an example of when an exclusion would happen?
- I have the following valuables: [list items you consider valuable]. Does this home insurance policy cover these valuables? If not, how much would it be to get an endorsement for the valuables? Do I need to get appraisals done for these valuables when they’re insured?
- I have a locker/storage unit/shed/garage. Is it covered under this policy?
- What liability does this home insurance policy cover?
- How much are the deductibles in this home insurance policy?
- Does this home insurance policy cover replacement cost or actual cash value?
- Do I qualify for any premium discounts?
- Are there any discounts you offer for making my home more disaster resistant?
- If I combine my home and auto insurance, is there a discount?
- Are the premiums paid monthly or annually?
- When does the policy coverage begin? For how long?
- If I need to make a claim, how do I do this?
- I’ve heard floods are on the rise. Does this home insurance policy cover floods, also known as overland water?
- Am I covered for sewer backup? If so, to what amount?
- Do you have any tools or resources such as a home inventory document that can assist me in making better decisions and protecting my home?
- Do I live in an area that is more prone to risks? Is there anything I can do to protect my home against these risks?
At DPM Insurance Group, our licensed brokers and CSRs are more than happy to take all the time you need to ensure you understand your policy completely and are comfortable that you have the protection you need. Click here to contact one of our six offices across Windsor-Essex and Chatham-Kent today: https://dpmins.com/locations/
Source: Financial Services Commission of Ontario