The 12 most common insurance claims around Christmas
Candles causing fire to Christmas decorations, stolen reindeers and accidentally throwing out items with discarded wrapping paper are just some of the many things that can go wrong over the holidays. Insurance company Aviva recently revealed the 12 most common insurance claims, or what it calls “regular festive fiascos,” that it has dealt with during December and January over the last five years.
- 110 cracked TVs, knocked over while customers were putting up or taking down Christmas decorations.
- 77 candle calamities, with candle centerpieces burning dining tables, flames setting fire to Christmas decorations and wax spilled on carpets.
- 68 carpets and floors stained or damaged by water from real Christmas trees.
- 27 Christmas party mishaps where possessions were lost or stolen while customers were celebrating. Popular items included mobile phones, jewelry and watches.
- 15 items accidentally thrown out with discarded wrapping paper. Lost possessions included spectacles, earrings and hearing aids.
- 11 feet put through ceilings while customers were retrieving Christmas decorations from their attics.
- Seven sets of fairy lights caused fires when they over-heated.
- Six cookers were destroyed while cooking Christmas dinner, with pans and pots dropped on hobs and hard-working ovens catching fire.
- Five ornamental reindeer have been stolen from gardens.
- Four Christmas card catastrophes: A pot of ink knocked onto a carpet, a phone and a china centerpiece smashed while writing Christmas cards, and spilling superglue on a sofa while making handmade cards.
- Two gold rings: One customer was making mince pies and took off her rings while she was preparing pastry. Unfortunately, they got thrown out with the rubbish when tidying up.
- One case of Santa’s sleigh crashing into a house and damaging a doorway, when the horses pulling the vehicle became startled.
Home claims come in all shapes and sizes. While some incidents may be mildly frustrating, there are others which can be truly devastating, particularly those involving fires. Should mishap befall you this holiday season, DPM Insurance Group is here to help. Individual office contacts can be found by following this link: https://dpmins.com/locations/
Source: Saleha Riaz For yahoofinance.com