< Back to Blog

What Happens When a G1 Driver is Involved in an Accident?

A G1 learner’s permit is just that–a learner’s permit. It is the first level in Ontario’s graduated licensing program. It is a highly restrictive licence, with many conditions one of which is that the G1 driver must never drive alone.

Another fully licensed driver (who is sober, has at least four years of driving experience, and whose licence is not suspended) must be sitting in the front passenger seat of the car, supervising the G1 driver.

As long as a G1 driver has the vehicle owner’s permission to be driving the car, and is adhering to all the G1 driver’s licence restrictions, the G1 driver will be covered under the vehicle owner’s auto insurance policy, in the same way the owner would. For example, if there is vehicle or property damage caused as a result of an accident – and the policy includes collision or all perils coverage – then the owner’s policy will provide coverage.

At-Fault accidents and the G1 driver

If the G1 driver is involved in an accident where they are deemed to be at-fault, the claim for the accident will go through vehicle owner’s insurance policy. Once the G1 driver becomes fully licensed and has their own auto insurance policy, the accident can then be ‘transferred’. In the meantime, it is the owner of the vehicle who may see an increase in their auto insurance premiums.

Criminal offences and the G1 driver

If the G1 driver is in an accident and is charged and convicted of a criminal offence (like impaired driving, failing to remain at the scene of an accident or dangerous driving etc.), there will be no coverage under the vehicle owner’s insurance policy for damages caused to the vehicle. There will be minimal accident benefits coverage also—this is true for anyone, beginners or fully licensed drivers.

Lend your car, lend your insurance

As the owner of the vehicle it is important to remember that whether you are lending your car to a fully licensed driver or a G1 driver you are in essence lending your car insurance also.


Protect yourself, protect your family, protect your devices.

Learn More

DPM Driver’s Ed Scholarship

DPM Driver’s Ed Scholarship. Your security, our responsibility.

Learn More

Blenheim Office

24 Marlborough St. N., Box 479
Blenheim, ON N0P1A0

Phone: 519-676-8159
Fax: 519-676-0020

Chatham Office

250 St. Clair St.
Chatham, ON N7L 3J9

Phone: 519-352-4343
Toll Free: 1-800-561-4949
Fax: 519-352-6484

Essex Office

29 Talbot St. N, Box 69
Essex, ON N8M 2Y1

Phone: 519-776-6457
Fax: 519-776-7400

Harrow Office

65 King St. W., Box 790
Harrow, ON N0R 1G0

Phone: 519-738-2277
Fax: 519-738-2279

Tilbury Office

59 Mill St. E, Box 1239
Tilbury, ON N0P 2L0

Phone: 519-682-0202
Fax: 519-682-2391

Wallaceburg Office

403 Wellington St.
Wallaceburg, ON N8A 2Y2

Phone: 519-627-1777

DPM Insurance is a BrokerLink company. The BrokerLink companies are subsidiaries of Intact Financial Corporation (TSX: IFC)