< Back to Blog

What if your property was previously a grow-op

Home insurance clients who move to a new property should have the premises inspected and let the insurer know if there are signs it has been used to grow cannabis.

“If a home was a former cannabis grow-op, likely pipes and electricity have been manipulated and strained, which could increase the risk and consequently influence the premium,” an Insurance Bureau of Canada spokesperson told Canadian Underwriter.

Some insurers are asking clients if their home has been “previously identified” as an illegal grow-op. So Canadian Underwriter asked experts what happens if you move to a property not knowing a previous occupant has been caught illegally growing cannabis.

“If the home purchaser gained actual knowledge that there had previously been a grow-op there, during the course of the purchase of the property, or if they had a significant reason to believe that there was a grow-op previously at the property, they would have an obligation to disclose that to their insurer – in particular if they were asked that question by the insurer,” said Ari Krajden, a Toronto-based partner with law firm Kawaguchi Krajden LLP.

A grow-op – legal or illegal – poses an increased risk of mold damage from condensation emitted from plants. There is also an increase in fire damage risk from potential modifications to the electrical system as well as water damage from plumbing modifications.

“Prospective purchasers, prior to purchasing a home, should undertake a thorough inspection of the home, ideally by hiring a qualified inspector. Whenever there is a material change in risk, the customer must inform their insurer as issues may arise particularly in the context of the nondisclosure,” the IBC advises.

“If the insurer has concerns about the property, the insurer or the [mortgage] lender could require that the purchaser perform an environmental study of the property and in that scenario where something like that might come up,” Krajden said in an interview.

So, what happens if a client is not aware a previous occupant was caught growing cannabis, but the insurer finds public records – such as police, court or media reports – confirming that the property was me a grow-op at one time?

“In the course of a normal home purchase, I don’t think that the insured has an obligation to take extraordinary measures to find out what the prior use of the property was,” said Krajden.


Source: Canadian Underwriter


Protect yourself, protect your family, protect your devices.

Learn More

DPM Driver’s Ed Scholarship

DPM Driver’s Ed Scholarship. Your security, our responsibility.

Learn More

Blenheim Office

24 Marlborough St. N., Box 479
Blenheim, ON N0P1A0

Phone: 519-676-8159
Fax: 519-676-0020

Chatham Office

250 St. Clair St.
Chatham, ON N7L 3J9

Phone: 519-352-4343
Toll Free: 1-800-561-4949
Fax: 519-352-6484

Essex Office

29 Talbot St. N, Box 69
Essex, ON N8M 2Y1

Phone: 519-776-6457
Fax: 519-776-7400

Harrow Office

65 King St. W., Box 790
Harrow, ON N0R 1G0

Phone: 519-738-2277
Fax: 519-738-2279

Tilbury Office

59 Mill St. E, Box 1239
Tilbury, ON N0P 2L0

Phone: 519-682-0202
Fax: 519-682-2391

Wallaceburg Office

403 Wellington St.
Wallaceburg, ON N8A 2Y2

Phone: 519-627-1777

DPM Insurance is a BrokerLink company. The BrokerLink companies are subsidiaries of Intact Financial Corporation (TSX: IFC)